20090513

Seamless Mullions

I did the Seamless Panel tutorial last week and realized that it ends up begging the question "how do I make a seamless FRAME". Building on that tutorial, here is one method to create such a panel.



The resulting frame, which you can download from here, has a couple shortcomings. Namely, the corner conditions don't clean up nicely. This is ok for most situations, but gets a little funky in extreme conditions. The nice thing is that it's really easy to control thickness and height of the mullion.

There's another method that uses a void and has much cleaner edges, but it is harder to control the thickness of the mullions. The creation of this one is a little more involved, so I'm not doing a tutorial yet, but here is the file for download. One thing you'll notice is that the mullion thickness is tied to the size of the panel.

5 comments:

  1. Zach, another cool post. thanks (couldn't get the download links to work)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the QA Dave . . . links are back up now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach, this is perfect. thank you. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I can't download the file can you please fix it? Thanks! GREAT GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, sorry I shut down the account that housed these files a couple years ago, not sure what I did with the original files. I'll keep looking, but I'm not hopeful

    ReplyDelete